African American Rhinoplasty Beverly Hills
The African American Nose
As a specialist in ethnic rhinoplasty, I have a great deal of experience performing African American nose jobs.
Every nose job is different. Each patient’s nasal anatomy is determined by genetics, ethnic origin, possibly injuries and abnormalities. A cookie cutter approach is not appropriate. The goal of African American nose jobs or any ethnic rhinoplasty is to give each patient an aesthetically pleasing nose that is in balance with the rest of his or her facial features.
African American Nasal Anatomy
- Skin: Thick, Abundant Fibrofatty tissue
- Radix: Deep, Inferiorly-Set & Low
- Nasal Bridge & Dorsum: Short Nasal Bones, Wide & Flat
- Tip: Bulbous, Thick-Skinned, Under-Projected, Derotated (Ptotic), Abundant Nasal Soft Tissue, Broad Domes, Minimal Definition
- Base: Wide, Thick, Horizontal & Flaring Nostrils
- Nasolabial Junction: Retracted, Acute Nasolabial Angle (< 90 degrees), Under-Developed Nasal Spine
- Maxilla: Usually Retrusive & Hypoplastic
Some nasal features are common among African Americans. These may include an under projected nasal tip, wider base, wide nasal bridge, and retracted, acute nasolabial angle (meaning a small angle between the nose and the upper lip). Depending on the patient’s goals, there are many techniques available to change the shape of the nose. An under-projected or bulbous nasal tip can be extended with an Advance Lateral Crura or Extended Columellar Strut. Pieces of cartilage taken from the ear or rib can be added to the nasal bridge (dorsum) to make it more prominent. A wide alar base (wide nostrils) can be reduced with a nasal sill and floor excision. To maintain ethnic features during African American nose jobs, subtle changes can be made that will have a positive impact on the overall look of the nose.
Most of the structural work can be done inside the nose to minimize external scarring. I perform open rhinoplasty in most cases, which places the incisions discreetly at the base of the nose. Once healed, most scars are not noticeable. See before and after photos for examples of ethnic rhinoplasty.